Monday, December 8, 2008

Walking in a winter wonderland - Rockerfeller Christmas Tree


Even though the days are very cold and very short right now, there is something magical about being in New York in December. The lights, the music, the happy faces on the street. Even though my to do list is currently a mile long, I find myself smiling at nothing in particular as I walk down the street these days.

Because New York is such a magical place in December, I've decided that I'm going to spend a lot of time this month writing about some of the fabulous things to do and see in the city in December.

The first item I'm featuring is a NY classic: Rockefeller Center. The highlight of Rockefeller Center is the eight ton, 72 foot Norway spruce Christmas tree. When a tree is this amazing, nothing more than lights (30,000 LED lights) and a star is needed. This year the tree will be lit until January 9. This is a must do in NYC in December, so make sure you make it out there while you have a chance.

Rockefeller Center knows how to rock the holidays. In addition to the Rockefeller Christmas tree, there are giant angels and nutcrackers, an iceskating rink, Top of the Rock, and a light show. There are plenty of coffee shops and restaurants in Rockefeller Center so you can also grab a bite to eat, or warm up with hot chocolate and apple cider after you've had your fill of the holiday decorations.




Info:

Rockefeller Christmas Tree
  • Location: 30 Rockefeller Plaza
  • Price: FREE
  • Hours: Daily 5:30am - 11:30pm until January 9th. All day on Christmas Day.
  • Directions: B, D, F, V at Rockefeller Center, 47-50 Streets
The Rink at the Rock
  • Location: Enter from Fifth Avenue (Between 49th and 50th Streets)
  • Price: $19 for Adults, $12.50 for Children (under 11), and $9 skate rental.
  • Hours: Monday - Thursday 9:00am - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday 8:30am - Midnight, Sunday 8:30am - 10:00pm
  • Directions: B, D, F, V at Rockefeller Center, 47-50 Streets

Top of the Rock: A full post will be dedicated to the Top of the Rock at a later date.
  • Location: 50th St (btw 5th and 6th Ave)
  • Price: $20 Adults, $13 children, $18 seniors, $30 sunrise or sunset ($15 for children)
  • Hours: Daily 8am - 12 Midnight (last elevator goes up at 11pm)
  • Directions: B, D, F, V at Rockefeller Center, 47-50 Streets


2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I'm always amazed at how many lights they can put onto Rockerfeller Christmas Tree. What a beautiful time of year to be in NYC!

sara said...

I remember one Christmas we went to Washington Square. There were so many street vendors selling their beautiful hand-crafted items. I fell in love with the necklaces that one woman had for sale on her little cardtable on the corner. My husband saw me admiring one particular necklace and he later snuck back and purchased it for me. What a wonderful Christmas surprise. It was unique and beautiful and people always comment on it when I wear it. I love the necklace and I love the memory it brings back. A wonderful Christmas in NYC visiting my daughters.